1. No matter how much I say I don't care for love stories, I have no defense against a really good one.
2. It's okay to raise the stakes. It will drive your audience into insanity, but they'll love you even more for it, eventually.
3. Two signs of a truly popular book: Lots of fan art online, and warring sides over which boy is better. (Groan. For the warring sides, not the fan art. Fan art is awesome.)
4. Two signs of a truly great book: A world that seems disturbingly likely, and my tears-- not only for the dead characters, but also for joy at the end.
5. First person, present tense might not be so bad, after all.