Tuesday, September 7, 2010

september is for lovers. of september.

I cannot lie, I love September.  It is an excellent month, and even better since I no longer have to associate it with the beginning of the school year.  But, even as a kid I enjoyed September.  It was always the best month to go to the lake, especially at the end, when it was almost October and everyone else on the planet had resigned to it being fall, but it was still warm enough outside to go on the boat.

Also, if you've known me for more than half an hour, you probably know that I love the changing of seasons, especially the big ones. Summer to fall, winter to spring.  I can't get enough of it.  I can't imagine living in a place where it was always winter or always summer, or even always spring (though I'm sure there are worse things than eternal spring).  Maybe I would enjoy living somewhere where it's always fall, but I don't think that's deciduously possible.

I do love fall.  Apples, though not always my favorite to eat, are a delight to see and smell.  And pumpkins. Please.  Gourds in general just tickle me, but pumpkins win because they are sweet and goopy and seedy and fun to carve.  A butternut squash might be more difficult to carve.  Also, our wedding cake was pumpkin chocolate chip, and pumpkin chocolate chip is my favorite.

Don't even get me started on the orange and red and yellow leaves.  I remember in college getting to see a friend of mine, who had grown up in Africa, experience autumn colors for the first time.  It was an all-around giddy day for me.  It's kind of sad here in Knoxville that no one sees orange for the great color that it is.  All people see here, when they see orange, is UT football.  Gross.

I guess that's all I wanted to say today.  I could rant a little more about Knoxville's obsession with UT, but maybe I'll save that for later.

I'm going to go buy some new clothes and hole-up to read/write some where, if I'm lucky.
Oh, and if you see a little black and white cat with a brown and green polk-dotted collar, that's Adelaide.  Tell her to come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You like to comment? I like to respond!
Either by email or on your blog, starting... now!