Thursday, May 20, 2010

reintroducing myself.

Well, that was a long break.  In the car last night, I thought up a delightful, clever way to reintroduce myself, but I have forgotten it now.  No surprise.


Last week my friend Jesse Myers wrote to me saying that he enjoyed reading my blog, though I hadn't written anything lately.  I responded:
     "It has become a battle recently between writing on the blog, writing emails, writing for fun, reading novels, and reading the Bible. Sadly, the blog usually ends up at the bottom of this list. Even more sadly, reading the Bible isn't very high up, either. I've always struggled with that. It's like, once I'm reading it, I don't want to put it down, but it takes forever to motivate myself to open it up. Sigh."


Apparently, it has been this way for writing on the blog, as well.  I feel like I have to devote a ton of time to a post, and always find myself wasting that time doing something else.  BUT!!  Since I was a big girl this week and successfully read from my Bible, I figured I could go ahead and tackle this as well.  Also, I enjoy writing and I miss it.


Living in Knoxville has been just fine these last six months, but I must admit, pretty dull in the middle of the day.  There was that one month when I didn't have a car and walked to the grocery store or to McKay's for entertainment, or the month after that when I did have a car again, and just drove to the Greenway to run all the time...  Freedom is nice, but so is variety.  So, to my great happiness, I FINALLY got a job.  A fun job.  The sort of job I've always wanted.


Believe it or not, I actually applied at Mast last summer, six months before I even lived here (I applied again at the end of March).  Ohh... I think it'll be fun.  I know I see the whole thing in a rosy fog right now, though.  I am learning that my co-workers are just as imperfect as I am, even though I spent ten minutes telling my grandmother about how awesome everyone is (before I'd even met half of them).


It makes me a little nervous to know that they've talked about "the new girl."  I haven't been a "new girl" in a while.  Or had a job.  Come to think of it, I haven't worked since September.  I had no idea I'd be taking eight months off.  Jeez.


I'll admit, I was a little hesitant to work again.  Since moving to Rockford, I had really started to enjoy my days a lot more.  It's nice to be able to step outside and run any amount you like, whenever you like.  I had also really gotten used to reading and writing a lot, and I remember thinking, "If I get a job, I won't be able to run and work and read and write, all in one day!"  I have a feeling this will be true.  I will have to learn true motivation to accomplish all of these things.  For example, I woke up at 5:00 on Tuesday to run before going to work.  I did it, but I'm still exhausted from it.  How do people (like my husband) get up at this hour every single day?  Will I ever be able to train for this marathon if I can't even pull myself up out of bed?


For those of you not in Chattanooga at 11:00 pm on Thursday, May 20, you may not know that it is thundering like mad outside.  Joshua and I are in his parents' basement guest room, and he's already out cold, curled up under the covers.  We're here for two reasons:  first, today was his mommy's birthday (yay!), and second, we're driving to Atlanta tomorrow morning to fly down to the Bahamas for four days.  Yes, the Bahamas.  I don't think either of us have ever been there.  Joshua's had this trip up his sleeve for several months, now.  I knew we would be going somewhere beachy, but I didn't know exactly where until recently.  Surprise!  Wouldn't it be fun if I could post while we're there?  I may very* well do so, if we can ever find cheap-as-free internet.


*Sidenote:  I recently came across an excellent list of quotes (mostly writing advice), which included this hilarious one from Mark Twain:  “Substitute “damn” every time you’re inclined to write “very;” your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”  So perhaps I should edit my above statement to read, "I may (well) do so..."


My favorite on the list was one I'd heard before from Madeleine L’Engle:  


     “You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.”


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You like to comment? I like to respond!
Either by email or on your blog, starting... now!