Thursday, September 6, 2012

Bird in the box is HERE.

So. Remember this?

"When I began blogging in 2010, I had no idea what I was getting into. I didn't think I was starting a "writing blog," though that's quickly what it became.


For some time, I've felt uncomfortable splitting myself in two with every post. There's the writer me, and the pre-taking-it-seriously writer me, also known as college me, theatre me, camp counselor me, facebook me...

Now, as I do begin to take writing more seriously, I want to also take blogging about writing more seriously. Not that I can make grand promises. You likely won't be able to tell the difference between this blog and the new one. But the act of embarking, of calling out a change, and of assigning a specific portion of myself to a certain space feels VERY much like the right thing to do.

It only took signing up for WriteOnCon for me to realize (even after all those Platform-Building Campaigns-- yay!) that I didn't want to lead other writers (or, eep, industry pros) to a personal blog about nothing in particular + writing sometimes


Thus! Bird in the Box is born! I know I've been dormant lately (summers are HARD), but I'd love to see some familiar faces pop by the new digs. I may continue to post here, but Bird in the Box is where all the writing-related things will be, from now on. Also, I won't be offended if you decide to un-follow RwPB. Seriously. Love to all of you! I would have never come so far in the craft, as far as I have yet to go, without the help of fellow bloggers. 

*internet hug*"

Friends, I made a mistake. I've been toiling over that post ever since I wrote it. Toiling over the split. Because, at my heart of hearts, that's EXACTLY what I DO want to lead other writers, or industry pros, or even real-life friends (as scary as you are, for some reason) to. Me being Me. And there is a big part of Me that wants to blog about craft, which is something I've been afraid to do. I thought starting over would fix that, but it really only made me feel lonely and embarrassed. Why should I have wanted to change so much, so badly?

And so, yes, Bird in the Box is born. But Bird in the Box is also HERE, at birdmaughonbooks.blogspot.com, formerly rosewood pencil box. I haven't changed so much recently that I should abandon everything I was before. 


I mean, I obviously still have a thing for boxes.  :)

Thanks for sticking with me. I've a had a bit of a floundery summer. And, to echo what I said before, lots of love, and lots of thanks. I owe a metric ton of my growth to blogging. Annnnnnd now I'll stop being sappy, put on my big-girl hat, and give up worrying what others think of me.

Cheers!


(Note: I went in to edit this post, and ended up changing it entirely. Hello to everyone who commented before, both here and there. You had a lot to do with this. You're brilliant, and I love you. Okay, NOW I'm done with the sappiness.)

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new blog! I'm off to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like birds,even if you've put them in a box :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog!! That's great that you are on WriteOnCon! It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is beautiful! I'm so glad I "met" you at WOC! Good for you for wanting to focus more on writing, but don't lose the personal touches :D I find from experience that the writing blogs I love to read best are the ones that offer me a little insight into the authors' personalities and lives. It's nice to see other real live people with the same dream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure WriteOnCon was amazing! (I sadly missed it due to too much school work happening at the same time...). Glad to have found your new blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like you are making a great transition! I think it's one that we writers have to make constantly. We have to take ourselves seriously, and sometimes that can feel foolish. I feel that way about my blog a lot, like someone is going to pull back the curtain and see that I'm not a real writer or something. But real writers are writers who are writing and calling themselves writers :) So keeping your blog here is perfect. It's YOU. I'm excited to see what you're up to this fall!

    ReplyDelete

You like to comment? I like to respond!
Either by email or on your blog, starting... now!