Sunday, July 31, 2011

a belated post about harry potter, who, by book reckoning, would be 31 today.

And that is a BIG DEAL, because you only turn 31 on the 31st once, Harry. So live it up.*

Latex balloons sold separately, people. Also, no matter how much I love these books,
I don't really want to eat cake off the hero's face.
Ahem.
In the past several weeks, a lot of folks having been reminiscing up and down about Harry Potter and the end of an era. I hear you. This is my two cents, and we'll pretend that I am not quite so late to the game (I didn't see the movie until this past week-- gasp!).

Like everyone else will say (and has said), these books shaped my life as a reader. Especially my life during the summertime. My favorite thing to do, for quite a while, was to bake in the sun on my parents' back deck with a Harry Potter book in my lap. And boy, do I have a lot of memories of books 5-7 coming out whilst working at Loucon, and the constant battle of trying to get kids (and counselors! and staffers!) not to spoil the goods for those of us who'd decided to wait until the summer was over... or at least not to read on the job. THAT'S HOW YOU KNOW A BOOK IS GOOD, folks.

There are certain benefits to working at a summer camp with like-minded people. For instance, this is how we celebrated the release of the final film:

The infamous Harry Potter Zipline!


It was a beautiful Saturday at Camp Loucon, and some awesome stuff went down. 
All photo credits to my friend Katie, whom I call Catie (she calls me Dzulie. It's a thing).

There was Quaffle throwing.
And Snitch catching.


And there were stunts!
It was the Best Thing Ever. I love camp people. And YAY for books that shape culture! Isn't it baffling?

(I totally caught the Snitch, fyi.)


*I hear there's some controversy over what year Harry was born (the horror!), but I'm sticking with the headstone that said James and Lily died in 1981. Just so's you know.

3 comments:

  1. Uh, Wizard Tag just sounds plain dangerous! A kid chasing other kids with a stick?? (Do you want to play when you come to visit, though?)

    Those pics are so awesome. I'm so glad to see how they suspended the quidditch hoops, because I was really puzzling over that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, those pictures are HILARIOUS. The first one with the broom is my favorite.

    Totally jealous of your fun times.

    ReplyDelete

You like to comment? I like to respond!
Either by email or on your blog, starting... now!